It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Officer Class A requirements
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 am 

Hi all
sorry if this has been asked before .

but i am a total newbie to USAAF reenactment and need some help and guidence .

i am attending a xmas 40s dance and was going to purchase and wear a Class A officers uniform. i thought this would be a good starting point in my USAAF look .

i like the pinks and choc shirt look with the 4 pocket tunic

but did the guys wear any other conbination ie different colour shirts ties and trousers

would you guys start with the officer rig?. im guessing you can swap and add items as the surroundings dictate ie the A2 even flying boots

did the officers wear just shoes with this loadout or some type of issue boots when out on the town .

just not sure where to start sorry :lol:

im thinking about getting the kit from WPG they seem to have fantastic reviews etc im a 46 chest and 39 waist :oops: so am finding it hard to source origianal gear

cheers stu

Post subject: Re: Officer Class A requirements
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:14 pm 

oh well guess its going to be RAF then lot easier to sort :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:31 pm 

stu48 wrote:
oh well guess its going to be RAF then lot easier to sort :lol:

Don't you dare go to the "DARK SIDE" :D

Give the guys a few days and they will reply with views and thoughts etc.

MIKE.

A.A.F. Ferret Apparently?

Right waist gun "THE SPIRIT OF VALLEY FORGE"

Right waist gun "GHOST CREW"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:51 pm 

The Dark Side has he been feeling the Force :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:05 pm 

If you like Pinks, chocolate shirt and Officers Service Coat, go with that, it is a good standard set and will serve you well. Of course you could go against the grain and badge it up as something other than flight crew, there were many different roles on an air base other than combat crew.
What I strongly suggest is do your research, there is an abundance of written material out there that deals solely with AAF Officers gear. Also decide what rank and job you are going to portray and do your research on that, it all adds to the overall impression. I'm sure we will all look forward to seeing pictures of you when you get kitted out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:43 am 

lol the force is strong in this one :lol:

cheers sfor the replys lads was thinking no one loved me :lol:

great info there Abe problem i am finding is most places are out of stock of one thing or another in my various sizes its a nightmare

i like the 4 pocket tunic and i also like the ike jacket but im wondering what other type of jacket/trouser/shirt combination was accurate

i see in some pics officers wore the ike jacket with m1944 wool trousers or the m37 mustard wool trousers and the officer wool shirt for walking out

i have seen the summer tan shirt and trouser combo for a brill price would this fit in with the ike jacket ?

what combinations do you guys wear? for walking out if you guys could link me some items i will order them

i do like the officer pinks but having trouble finding any there either out of stock or in massive sizes

i will be doing a flight surgeon look or maybe a corrispondent due to my age i think 48 maybe to old for flight crew

sorry to be a pain with all the questions the us gear is a real difficult one compared to brit kit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:28 am 

I have seen photo's of Tan shirts worn with Ikes and wool service coats, but not tan trousers. A s a rule for England I would not mix Winter issue clothing with summer issue.
Two suppliers in this country for officers uniforms are
www.sofmilitary.co.uk
and
www. sealmilitary.com
However I cannot vouch for the accuracy of either, I don't know anything about officer gear I'm just an enlisted grease monkey hopefully someone else can give their opinions on what their AAf uniforms are like.
I think one of the best suppliers is in the States is a firm called "At the front" have a look and see what they do, I can't remember off the top of my head what they have, but I have seen some of their stuff and it looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:00 pm 

ABE wrote:
I have seen photo's of Tan shirts worn with Ikes and wool service coats, but not tan trousers. A s a rule for England I would not mix Winter issue clothing with summer issue.
Two suppliers in this country for officers uniforms are
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk
and
www. sealmilitary.com
However I cannot vouch for the accuracy of either, I don't know anything about officer gear I'm just an enlisted grease monkey hopefully someone else can give their opinions on what their AAf uniforms are like.
I think one of the best suppliers is in the States is a firm called "At the front" have a look and see what they do, I can't remember off the top of my head what they have, but I have seen some of their stuff and it looks pretty good.

you work for a living mate as you do not know much about officers :lol:

cheers for the info though mate will have a dig around and see if i can get some pics and may see if there are any books as well on the subject of officer uniforms . just finding the us look hard as they swapped and changed items of uniform every other day really tough to get look right . and with items being out of stock on a package buy im banging me head against the wall :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:17 pm 

I can vouch for At The Front in Kentucky, especially the HBT gear, although Rollin won't have any more coveralls until next year.
Flight surgeon? You're about the same age as me, so Aviation Mechanic is a good choice. Hbt's and a D-1 most of the time!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:19 am 

Hi Chris

i like the idea of the mechanic role as i have allways loved tinkering with engines etc i think you may have sold me on it . also the enlisted mans kit seems to be more availible in my sizes . i will check out at the front mate . whats a d1 mate? also what type of footwear did the USAAF enlisted man wear with work and walking out wear cheers stu