It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Officer Class A requirements
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:23 pm 

D-1 is a shearling leather jacket, although the M-41 field jacket was also common, versatile and less expensive.

Footwear for both work and walking out is the Type II Service Shoe. Russet leather with toe cap. NOT roughouts, as these absorbed oil fuel and other nastiness.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:32 pm 

Shrike wrote:

NOT roughouts, as these absorbed oil fuel and other nastiness.

This is some thing new to me? See you can learn a new trick every day. ;)

These are the small items that make the difference between a good and bad impression.

MIKE.

A.A.F. Ferret Apparently?

Right waist gun "THE SPIRIT OF VALLEY FORGE"

Right waist gun "GHOST CREW"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:45 pm 

Shrike wrote:
D-1 is a shearling leather jacket, although the M-41 field jacket was also common, versatile and less expensive.

Footwear for both work and walking out is the Type II Service Shoe. Russet leather with toe cap. NOT roughouts, as these absorbed oil fuel and other nastiness.

i ahve seen the different rough out boots i no the ones you mean mate and will be ordering a pair asap .

im guessing the leather jacket was worn on the flight line/hangers? its a working jacket i may just get a M41 for now though .

rank wise im guessing a senior line/crew chief would be a tec/sergeant my age is 48 so i guess i would be a senior nco god im old :lol:

are tanker HBT coveralls the same as USAAF mechanics i have seen a set on epic great price but have seen HBT shirts trousers and cap on at the front and wpg for good prices as well

sorry for all the questions but am slowly getting there all thanks to you guys as Mark has said its about getting the impression right for the guys that went through it for real

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:02 pm 

If you go the groundcrew route it doesn't have to be much more than a pair of boots and an A-3 Mechanics Cap.

This way you're sure to entice those Limey gals away from the officers in their smart pinks :P

Attachment:
Boots.jpg
Boots.jpg [ 230.7 KiB | Viewed 1224 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:15 pm 

i looked like that 20 years ago osgood :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:07 pm 

Clark tug, Cletrac... In the same picture, you're spoiling us Tony!

At our mechanics displays, we generally wear HBT coveralls, or the HBT trousers/shirt, white t-shirt under, D-1 shearling mechanics jacket, and roughout boots. There are numerous pictures in the AAF books of mechs wearing roughouts, aswell as bluchers and even arctic overshoes in the wetter, colder and muddier winter conitions.
If you go with roughouts, or as I did 2 buckle boots and cut the top section off(!), then make sure you treat them with impregnate/dubbing before wearing. This will prevent oil, water and all the other nasties soaking into the leather. It also darkens the boots so they look like originals, and not tan suede boots from John Lewis! ;)
The D-1 can be a little warm to wear, so mine get more use around this time of year, or when we take a spin around the 9th fields during winter. M-41 jacket is a good, far cheaper, alternative, and there's a wide choice of quality repros out there.
For evening attire, I have original mustard trousers and shirt and simply wear those.

I've bought HBTs, mustard trousers/shirt, M-41, Tankers jackets, double buckle boots and all manner of other repro clothing from most of the well known suppliers, but overall, I've found the best quality and most accurate materials to come from At The Front. Rollin has one of my original A-3 caps in 7 1/2 and, one day, he's supposed to be getting a load made up! Restocks and new items generally take some time to appear, but are usually worth waiting for.
D-1 has to be Eastmans - closest to originals that I've come across, but they are expensive, and have gone up by more than £200 in the last 18 months alone! Despite that, I'm ordering another one next week. :-0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:18 pm 

Hi Chris
mate thank you ever so much for the info i have checked out at the front and see they do an enlisted mans wool package for under $200 and the HBT for under $100 may as well order the lot for that price

just one little thing whats difference between light and dark shade in the HBT sets is it that the light shade has the worn and washed look ?.

like you said why not just wear the EM wool set with rough out russet style boots with belt and tie for eve wear.

guessing this is what you mean mate by mustard trousers and shirt ?

https://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductD ... de=USUPEMW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:02 pm 

am i being a divvy here :lol: but why is there no chest sizes on dress shirts only center of neck to wrist with your arm bent (what ever that means :?: ) and neck size .

how do they no what chest i am? :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:43 pm 

Light shade (sage) HBTs are earlier, upto around spring 1943, when the darker OD7 shade came into being. All the A-3 caps I have are light shade, so that's he colour I go with.
Mustards - spot on.
Not sure how ATF list shirt sizes, but originals don't have chest measurement. I don't think shirts usually have chest sizes, even modern ones. Originals are sized by neck, then sleeve length I think, so 16x33 would be 16 neck, 33 from cuff to centre neck base? Could be wrong on the second measurement!
I wear a 17 neck workshirt, and my original 16x33 fits fine, room to spare, but I don't wear a tie!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:46 pm 

Just noticed atf shirts start at 19" - must be out of stock on the 'smaller' sizes! Hbt coveralls are out of stock, just 1 pair of XXL left until next year. :(