It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Officer Class A requirements
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:48 am 

Chris Warne wrote:
Just noticed atf shirts start at 19" - must be out of stock on the 'smaller' sizes! Hbt coveralls are out of stock, just 1 pair of XXL left until next year. :(

thats the prob i was having mate some items in stock some out really struggling to get a package :cry: :P just have to keep an eye on stock levels i got a month or two before xmas dance which will be my first outing . also i have started a diet and exercise regime so will wait and see how i look in a couple of months after some beasting at the gym get the tape messure out and with luck get a more tailored fit i think thats the way forward :lol:

thanks for your advice on colours of HBT etc you have all been brill helping me get things right . just gotta sort out a rank for my age now and where to place badges and patches etc when i finally get my rig ordered ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:04 pm 

Keep an eye on ebay as coveralls regularly crop up and in big sizes as well.

I'm waiting on a pair from Thailand (originals) and are reportedly 26" arm pit to arm pit? So this should make them a size 52?

When you wear original kit it gives you a kind of smugness that tells you your correct as, "HEY LOOK AT ME I'M WEARING ORIGINAL ITEMS."

Trust me it helps a lot 8-)

They also had another pair which if I remember where advertised as 24/25 arm pit to arm pit? So a size 48/50? They didn't sell.

Let me see if I can find the vendor for you too look at?

A good start to a display, I.E. a grease monkey. Cheap and easy (isn) to source and this gets you on the scene.

But if we ever meet at a show then I will lend you a few items if needed, but thE way you describe yourself you may have to grow into mine? LoL.

MIKE.

A.A.F. Ferret Apparently?

Right waist gun "THE SPIRIT OF VALLEY FORGE"

Right waist gun "GHOST CREW"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:35 pm 

Here we go, try these for coveralls.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380724918072? ... 1423.l2649

MIKE.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:42 pm 

Hi Mike
it would be brill to get to some shows with you all in the near future and very kind of the lend of kit offer :D

cheers for vendor links and as you have stated its not to expensive to get that grease monkey look some nice deals on HBT kit out there

but i would love original stuff though instead of repro kit can not go wrong there

i may get more size choices but shedding a few pounds :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:45 pm 

Mike, these coveralls are not a ww2 pattern, none of the three types of coveralls issued during ww2 had epaulettes sown on the shoulder and all had an integral belt around the waist.[quote="MIKE STOCKTON."]Here we go, try these for coveralls.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380724918072? ... 1423.l2649

Also may I take a very friendly exception to the notion that portraying ground crew is a cheap option. Just like portraying air crew, you can do it the inexpensive way, with just the very basics, or you can spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds getting all the right uniforms and equipment, and buying all the relevant reference material. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:15 pm 

ABE wrote:

Mike, these coveralls are not a ww2 pattern, none of the three types of coveralls issued during ww2 had epaulettes sown on the shoulder and all had an integral belt around the waist.

SHITE :cry:

Then these aren't correct either? You learn some thing new every day.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380712451678? ... 1497.l2649

Your right about the ground crews turning into an expensive option but at least the basics are available at a good starting price.

MIKE.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:29 pm 

ABE wrote:
Also may I take a very friendly exception to the notion that portraying ground crew is a cheap option. Just like portraying air crew, you can do it the inexpensive way, with just the very basics, or you can spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds getting all the right uniforms and equipment, and buying all the relevant reference material. :twisted:

I dread to think how much I've spent on tools, toolboxes, wrenches, and all the other paraphenalia we've aquired for the displays. That's without the Eastman D-1's, a Dodge Wc-51, GMC 353, etc....

I've got a pair of 1st pattern coveralls on route from the US as I type. Only $40, but shipping came in around $55, but they're a 42 and in very good order. Thing is, to portray AvMechs your coveralls should be pretty grubby, which can be a bit of a pill to swallow - intentionally getting your kit covered in cr@p! I remember seeing Gavin Copeman at Damyns Hall in 2011, leading the dragon wagon. He looked like he'd been living rough for a week - very realistic!

Looking ahead to next year, of course you're all welcome to join us from 31st July - 3rd August at Military & Flying Machines at Damyns Hall. We'll have our usual 120ft x 40ft display area, so we can fit you in. I've also been chatting to Alan at The Squadron, North Weald, with a view to putting on an aviation themed weekend around one of the May bank holidays.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:41 pm 

MIKE STOCKTON. wrote:
ABE wrote:

Mike, these coveralls are not a ww2 pattern, none of the three types of coveralls issued during ww2 had epaulettes sown on the shoulder and all had an integral belt around the waist.

SHITE :cry:

Then these aren't correct either? You learn some thing new every day.

I could be wrong, so don't take my word for it, they may be pre-war which would still make them ok, however if they are post war, just remove the epaulettes and your good to go, I have seen wartime examples that have had the belt and buckle removed. Everything else is pretty good, correct buttons, two patch pockets on the back like the 1st pattern.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380712451678? ... 1497.l2649

Your right about the ground crews turning into an expensive option but at least the basics are available at a good starting price.

MIKE.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:42 pm 

sorry lads i did not word that very well :oops: what i should of said is the basics ie HBT stuff is a good price i am sorry about that ;)

like yourselves i will probably end up spending a small fortune to get a full look together tools etc etc