It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: B17F top turret
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:39 am 

Late-pattern turret being removed from a 305BG Fort at the end of WWII:

Image via Graham Meiklejohn

401BG Association: Director & Historian
401BG Historical Society: Life Member
1AD HQ Historical Society: Founder Member
ARG Archive: Director of Archives & Collections
8AF Historical Society: Assistant UK Rep

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:56 pm 

What a cracking picture!.......It just shows how heavy these things weigh when complete.It makes you wonder why they are taking the turret out or are they putting it back in?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:47 pm 

Taking it out.
After WWII the 305th and 306th began photo- and radar-mapping Western Europe and North Africa with their PFF B-17s. The armament was removed at that time, as it was just unneccessary weight.

401BG Association: Director & Historian
401BG Historical Society: Life Member
1AD HQ Historical Society: Founder Member
ARG Archive: Director of Archives & Collections
8AF Historical Society: Assistant UK Rep

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:40 pm 

Just recieved an email from duxford saying that they cant help with the measurements that i require?
I thought such an establishment was for for research and education?.........i must of been mistaken!
It might be that they dont realise that they actually have one of these turrets fitted in the former Mary Alice B17 and it would take no longer than fifteen minutes to pop in with a tape measure , pull it out ,offer it up to a hand full of castings and right down the results.
Sorry it must be me thinking that it was so easy!............its obviously a lot harder than i thought......lesson learnt! :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:33 pm 

ballturret wrote:
Just recieved an email from duxford saying that they cant help with the measurements that i require?
I thought such an establishment was for for research and education?.........i must of been mistaken!
It might be that they dont realise that they actually have one of these turrets fitted in the former Mary Alice B17 and it would take no longer than fifteen minutes to pop in with a tape measure , pull it out ,offer it up to a hand full of castings and right down the results.
Sorry it must be me thinking that it was so easy!............its obviously a lot harder than i thought......lesson learnt! :(

How about this approach - do you know anyone on the Sally B team? I'm sure they could get access to the Mary Alice turret for you. Might you have something surplus to your requirements that they would be pleased to give a home to, in exchange for helping you? A sort of help each other?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:20 pm 

Hi Osgood ,just got a stroke of good luck , i contacted a good friend of mine who was involved in the film memphis belle and it so happens he has a couple drawings which show the side elevation of the cockpit!
They are not technical drawings but i can scale them up which will give an overall hieght from the floor , the diameter of the lower stand and the overall length of the side castings.......wayhey!.......things are looking up! :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:39 pm 

No option to go down to Hendon for the measurements?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:19 pm 

Hi Chris , i had thought of that but then again would they allow me to wonder around their B17 just to take measurements?
The other thing is the distance and fuel!
We are, as we have all been told , in the age of information technology which will enable us all to communicate across the globe via the world wide wait ,without having to travel hours down motorways just for a hand full of measurements!
Naw.........thats not going to happen!
The smithsonian was just as bad so with this in mind i will scale up the drawings i have , make my patterns and have them cast.
It wont be bang on but the turret will look some thing like but thanks again for the input........colin :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:19 am 

It should be easier to get this kind of information, shouldn't it? I thought organisations such as RAF Museum, IWM were public bodies, there to serve the public. :-/
Personally, if it were MY turret, and looking at the fine work so far, I'd want to build one that would fit into a B-17.
There must be other email/internet options to get a setof drawings, Pima, CAF......
Perhaps send a couple of pictures of your project and ask if they could send plansor measure theirs for you? Our American brethren would most likely be only too happy to help, when they see what you're building. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:44 pm 

hi Chris..........well yeh you would think so but so far i have had nothing from the states other than the gunsight that i purchased.I have been in contact with about three people who can help but for some reason they just stop emailing...............it must be that big expanse water inbetween that scares people?
I have signed up to a couple of other forumns but alas nothing!. :( ............so with this in mind i think i will try europe as its a little bit nearer to the UK ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next