It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hi from Loughborough
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:04 am 

Hi All.

My name is Darren 'Daz' Bond some of you may know me from doing WW2 US living history. My group being GI44-45.

Any how joined this forum as I am currently have a project going called The Eagle Project. In a nut shell I am researching an air crash that happened on the 12th of May 1944 during Exercise Eagle. A full scale training exercise for the Troop Carrier Groups and the Airborne units before D-Day.

As well as the research, the hopefully fitting end of the project is to get a memorial put in the village where the crash happened as currently nothing is in place to remember the 18 men lost.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information or pictures of the 316th TCG or the two squadrons involved. Those being the 36th TCS and the 44th TCS.

I am also very keen to see if I can get access to the now Army Camp at Cottesmore? I am fully aware of the security level and the very strong chance this is a stab in the dark, but worth a shot.

I have a Facebook page set up to share my research and keep interested folk up to date with my process, please see link below.

https://www.facebook.com/Exerciseeagle

Kind regards

Daz

Post subject: Re: Hi from Loughborough
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:53 am 

Bit of a ghost town around here.....Anyone interested in the 316th TCG?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:32 pm 

Hi Darren

Belated welcome to the forum

My assumption is that a great majority of the members here focus on 8th & 9th AF Bomber/Fighter groups, however making a post here in respect to your research may pull out an ace in the hole.

Your efforts to memorialize those lost in the tragic air accident are commendable & I wish you luck in your project, please keep us informed of your progress.

Access to any active military installation is very difficult unless you have a contact stationed there who can sponsor you for a day pass, have you tried contacting the base public affairs & relations office?

I agree, it's a little quiet around the place

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:35 pm 

Thank you Bird Dog for your reply at and comments.

Progress is being made every day with regards to the research.. So I am very happy with that, the council are lets say taking there time which from my side is a little frustrating as i am keen to make some head way. But such is life.

I have some names and numbers for the base so fingers crossed on at front.

I will be sure to post up more information as it happens, the best way for now is view my Facebook page where that gets updated as much as i can. If your not on FB it can still be viewed.

Kind regards

Darren

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:24 am 

Hello.

Sorry I can't help you, and while this forum is sometimes quite quiet, there are a number of very knowledgable people here, so keep posting what pictures and information you have, and you never know what may come of it.

Some members are on other forums, and may see a post here, that they know a member of another forum may have more knowledge on, so keep spreading your net, and sooner or later, you will come up with something.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035