It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: At The Front - any experiences?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:56 am 

Like Scott I too am looking for quality early pattern HBT coveralls.
These guys in the States don't do the early pattern, but their other HBT clothing (2 piece) and M41 jackets look very nice.
Anyone care to offer a view on the quality?

What about other HBT coverall supliers?

I've also looked at pictures of the Spearhead B-10 jacket and coveralls - again any feedback much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony (on the 388th flightline) (Hi)

Post subject: Re: At The Front - any experiences?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:40 pm 

If you wnat a cheap 'ok' B10 then Speahead's stuff is the same as the PIke brothers so they are ok. (least their denims are)

If you want a 100% copy one then get Eastmans! Well worth the money.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:25 am 

I hear you, Chief. Guess you get what you pay for. Snap-On spanners it is then.
Thanks for the advice.
The proprietor's 'Rants' page on At The Front's website is well worth a read - makes you want (not) to be a clothing supplier! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:32 am 

Stumbled on this and had to reply....
I've had lots of kit from ATF, including 3 pairs of HBT coveralls. I can't fault them - the colour is a perfect (I do mean 100% perfect) match to an original unissued A-3 I have too. Purchaising and shipping has never been an issue, and when I had to return something (I chose wrong size) it's dealt with quickly & efficiently. I've had items from other suppliers, but have found ATF's gear to be better quality overall.
For jackets, it has to be Gary. My D-1 and A-2 are superbly made, and as the D-1 is more what I wear at shows, it had to be an authentic repro. I have 3 pairs of B-1 shearling trousers, with one pair unissued in Large size - the colour, leather 'finish' (sheen, feel,etc...) is a perfect match, and the colour of the shearling 90% accurate - but then there's not much you can do to change the fleece colour, it's down to the sheep!
There is a huge gap in the market for a specific AAF item, that rarely apprears on epay, and when it does, it's very expensive. Rollin, at ATF, has one of my treasured originals and expect this gap to be plugged very soon! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:14 am 

Thanks for the feedback, and should I be putting an advance order in to ATF for this 'item', Chris? 8-)

Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:06 am 

small world! Latest I heard from Rollin is that they'll be in stock 'ready for Summer' so not long now I suspect. Since then, another vendor has made a batch and they're very very good, although comparing to the 6 originals I now have (yes, I have an A-3 mech cap fetish!) the visor seems a little 'pointed'.
If you've purchased any of these alternative caps, as I have, I 'experimented' on one cap and they're perfectly safe to wash at 50C, which loses that 'brand new' look, and I found shrinkage to be minimal - not even one hat size (eg: 7 3/4 down to 7 1/2).

Originals do crop up on epay every few weeks, and I've paid anything from £35 to £100 for sizes between 7 1/4 and 7 3/4 in unissued to very good condition. Originals are safe to wash too, if you need to, and I wonder what they used as a stiffener in the visor - it doesn't seem to distort or 'disintegrate'?