It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Flying Control/Follow Me jeep inc P-51 photoshoot
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:15 pm 

Late in the afternoon, the gathering thunderclouds and increasing wind speed indicated action needed to be taken. I helped the aircraft owners push the lighter planes into the T2 hangar, becoming trapped there by the heavy rain, while the rest of the MV's cleared off!! So I spent the rest of the afternoon chatting to the pilots in the hangar before the rain eased off and I was able to get back to a rather damp Jeep. The open canvas rear window was pointing towards the storm!

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:02 pm 

Ongoing Work

Jeeps were originally built working on 6 volts. By the time mine retired from the French Army around 1990, it had gone from 6v to 12v, to 24 volts. The brake light pressure switch has never coped well with the voltage rise, and arcs, carboning up the contacts.

I tried LED brake lights to reduce the current, but the switch still burns out and the lights stop working. Changing the switch is a pain due to having to bleed the brakes each time, so this morning I fitted a mechanical switch, rather than hydraulic. This switch also turns the lights on before any braking action, warning before slowing. The original was the opposite, braking before the lights came on.

The 'Normally Closed' switch on its mounting bracket. The lights are off so long as the switch is held in.

The bracket mounts between the brake pedal arm and steering column.

An 'L' shaped bracket is attached to the brake pedal lever, which holds the switch closed, and the brake lights off.

When the pedal is pressed, the 'L' bracket releases the switch, and the lights some on. Should this switch fail, I can replace it without interfering with the hydraulics.

'Jessie' will be out again on Sunday to the Tanfield Railway Steam Gala, but Saturday is the first event for 'Hope' this year, the Sedgefield Frontline multi-period living history event.

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:51 pm 

Tanfield Railway Legends of Industry Steam Gala - June 18th

Lynne wasn't around on Saturday, but she was home on Sunday, and so brought 'Jessie' to Tanfield, while I took 'Hope' along with my daughter. Two vehicles on display also meant two free tickets for the day!

Tanfield Railway is the oldest railway in the world, and will be celebrating its 300th anniversary in 2025. The weekend of June 17/18th was their main event of the year, the Legends of Industry Steam Gala. They had two visiting locos, but unfortunately, on Saturday, one started running two hot axel boxes, and was restricted to slow speed shunting. One of the railway's diesels stood in as a replacement.

On Sunday when we attended, things went from bad to worse, when their main diesel failed first thing in the morning, delaying getting the passenger coaches out of the shed, putting the whole time table back! Their secondary diesel, covered in dust, dirt and bird droppings was called into service to replace the replacement! With the hot weather and lots of visitors, I'm sure they still had a successful weekend. Our Jeeps were on show with a number of classic vehicles at East Tanfield Station.

My Collection

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:51 pm 

My Collection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:39 pm 

Bowes Railway/Springwell Village 1940's weekend - July 1/2nd

Last weekend saw a surprise trip out for all three of my vehicles. With only me available to drive, it was quite an achievement! I took the Dodge along on day one, but because a number of people had dropped out of the event, I offered to bring my whole collection, if someone could run me home for the next - after all, the event was only two and a half miles from home! So with a bit of shuttling to and from home, all three vehicles got to the show and home again, for probably little more than a couple of gallons of fuel!!

My Collection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 pm 

Buckerfest 2017, Breighton Aerodrome - July 15/16th

Since our normal tow car was rear ended recently, and still away for repairs, we couldn't tow the Jeep down to Breighton after school finished. Instead, I drove the Jeep and Jeep trailer there during the afternoon, with Lynne following in a normal car after the school run. This allowed me the get the tent set up before she arrived. It was a nice afternoon and evening, allowing a M*A*S*H photoshoot with some friends followed by a barbecue.

My Collection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:07 pm 

Overnight, it rained, and Saturday morning was dull and showery, but slowly brightening up. By around 11:30, people were aviating, and there was a constant stream of aircraft flying for the rest of the day, until everyone began to get ready for the hangar party. Jessie was parked up near the East end of the airfield, along with a number of other military vehicles. Jessie the Jeep parked up on show, and three Bucker designs that attended the 3rd Buckerfest Fly-In - The Jungmann, Bestmann and Jungmeister.

My Collection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 pm 

Over the weekend, there were two Bucker Bestmann aircraft present, one with the inline engine which is based there and one with flat four which was visiting. It was a rare treat to catch photos of them briefly together.

Here's some of the other military vehicles in attendance. Several Jeeps, Land Rovers, motor bikes, a Dodge WC51, three GMC 6x6's and an M35 6x6 were on display. There were also a number of classic cars on show further down the airfield.

My Collection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:10 pm 

Some of the Real Aeroplane Company fleet, the Fokker Triplane, Arrow Active 2, Aeronca 100 and Yak-18a.

My Collection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:14 pm 

Time for the hangar party. There was a disco, live band, and stand up comedian, plus a charity auction in aid of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance. My seven year old daughter was partying hard until about 11:15pm!

Here's some of the other Bucker aircraft that were there.

My Collection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next