It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
 Post subject: Re: My Flying Control Dodge - The Story So Far
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:11 pm 

Back in June, in an attempt to stop water pooling on the roof, I added a steel tube support just behind the dome. This afternoon, I made a quick change to the support I put in for the roof. Since fitting, I've found it does get in the way of setting up the observers chair under the dome, and generally can get in the way moving around the truck. As it is only really necessary when it is raining. A removable support would be more suitable. While the original wasn't fixed, if removed and the roof sagged, it was impossible to refit without jacking up the roof.

So I cut off around 3/4 of an inch, and turned down a nut to fit inside the tube. This was welded in place. A bolt was made with a small spigot at the head end that fits into a hole in the steel plate on the roof cross member. The support tube can now be fitted in place, and the bolt screwed out until the roof is pushed up and the support is secure. So now the support can be fitted quickly when needed, but stored clipped to the inside of the truck when not needed.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:28 pm 

NELSAM Trams & Transport - August 13th

I took the Dodge along to the Trams & Transport day at the North East Land, Sea and Air Museum today. A fair few vehicles in attendance, but I think my MV was the only one that doesn't live there. It gave the Dodge another test run, after which, the rear right shoes were adjusted as they were rubbing a bit once warmed up.

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:32 pm 

The museum's Bullet replica is coming along since I last saw it at Sedgefield. It now has a dummy engine which has an MDF crankcase and 3D printed cylinders. Each cylinder took around 54 hours to print. The wings are progressing too.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:37 pm 

Here's a few more shots from around the museum.

The Dodge was taken back to the storage container after returning from the museum, after a couple of weeks stay on the drive for the brake work. I'll be back here in September for their "Jeeps & Jets" event.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 pm 

It's been a quiet season for the Dodge, partly due to Lynne's health problems that has resulted in my going out on my own in a Jeep, where otherwise we may have all gone in the Dodge. However today, "Faith" got a run out to finish the season.

National Railway Museum Shildon Classic Car Rally - Oct 1st

Probably the last event of the season for me at 'Locomotion' the National Railway Museum at Shildon. It was my 16th event of 2017, and due to the damp forecast, I decided against taking the GPW a couple of days before the event, in favour of the Dodge. The Dodge hadn't been out much in 2017, so it was a chance to give it a decent run out, around a 60 mile round trip.

Early in the day, the concrete apron was quite empty, but as public opening time got closer, it soon filled up.

It was a very foggy trip down, but it slowly brightened up to give us some sun later in the day, and not too cold either. Some interesting visiting vehicles on display in addition to the rotating railway exhibits which frequently swap with those at York. My daughter and I also took the mile round trip walk to the other end of the line, to see some of the original buildings and the Timothy Hackworth cottage.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:03 pm 

Here's a few pictures of the vehicles and locomotives on show.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:06 pm 

From 3pm onwards, the cars began to depart, leaving our Dodge the last vehicle there. By the time we packed away the aerials and windsock, it was 4pm, and we headed home soon after, both quite tired, having clocked up a number of miles walking around the site on a railway themed treasure hunt I'd made up to entertain my daughter across the day.

My Collection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47