It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: My Flying Control/Follow Me jeep inc P-51 photoshoot
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:01 pm 

October 13th

A new piece of hat channel was added just behind the door pillar and then the door pillar skin was next. It was cut slightly over size, then slowly trimmed on the bench grinder until it was a good fit. The inside faces were primed and left to dry.

The skin was tack welded in place and left to cool.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 pm 

I stripped back some of the paint around the new panel and discovered desert sand paint. When I first got the Jeep, it had a "Sahara Jeep" windscreen, fitted with a spotlight bracket. I hadn't found any other obvious evidence of being a Sahara Jeep, but hadn't stripped any paint. Now with these repairs, the sand finish has become clear to see.

Once cool, the rest of the welds were completed in stages, and ground down with the angle grinder.

It was all cleaned up with a rotary wire brush and then skimmed with body filler, once again leaving it to dry.

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:00 pm 

October 19th

Fine surface filler was added on the 18th and sanded on the 19th. The fine surface filler helps to blend the repair into the old keyed paintwork. This now needs a coat of primer to check over the finish before any other filling and sanding. I'll then probably leave it in primer while I deal with a few other rust spots before spraying the olive all in one go.

October 20th

The side repair and floor were given a light coat of grey primer today and left to dry. I then turned my attention to the front left fender which had a large rust patch on the corner. Further investigation showed the whole outer skin had rusted away over the top of the 'L' shaped reinforcing piece behind. I ended up cutting this out, opening up the hole and welding a new piece behind. The hole was then filled in with further weld. Back on the side panel, the axe handle bracket holes were redrilled and I found some other welding needed on the inside at the top of the tank well. The heat damaged some of the filler, so that was broken away and refilled.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:03 pm 

October 22nd

On the 22nd, the filler was given a light sand again on both the fender and tub side and they were given another coat of primer. Apart from a couple of small spots that reacted with the sand paint underneath, the side and render are ready for the olive top coat.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:08 pm 

Moving further back, I'd noticed a small area of rust along the wheel arch/locker floor area. When investigating further, it turned out to be mostly filler and a large hole! This will be the next area for attention. Once that is done, all the left side areas will be painted olive drab, the tank and seat reinstalled and the Jeep turned around to check the other side.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:19 am 

November 18th - Ongoing Bodywork Repairs

After a few weeks break, I got back to the repairs. A new strip of steel was cut and welded in. With the welding mask on, it was difficult to see and work inside the wheel arch. It wasn't the neatest welding, but having seen the rust extends around the side of the floor too, it really could do with a new locker floor. That task would really have to be a body off job to do it properly, and not something I'm prepared to do just yet, so for now, this repair will just buy me a bit more time. After the welding, it was skimmed over with filler and that's where it has been left.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 am 

The 25th was another clear and sunny day, so I continued with the body work. While it was sunny, it was also very cold, with frost everywhere outside, so I didn't get started until around 10:30 when the Sun had warmed things a little! The rear wheel arch was sanded, filled and sanded again and finally primed.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:22 am 

The filler on the hat channel seam, next to the tank well was also sanded and that too was primed, along with all of the driver's floor. These are now ready for olive drab, and when that's done, the left side of the Jeep can go back together.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 am 

Between all the sanding and painting, I also started some of the other winter maintenance - wheel hubs.

I wanted to re-grease all the bearings and also check the brake shoes. It's about eight years since the shoes were fitted however I don't use the brakes much when driving, slowing with the gearbox. So out came the new halfshaft fitted in September, the gasket off, then the locknuts and washers. The hub and bearings came next and were cleaned and the old grease scooped out. The bearings were cleaned and re-greased, the shoes checked and there was still plenty of thickness to them, so it was all reassembled.

My Collection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26