It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
 Post subject: Re: '43 Ford GPW, my new project
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:30 pm 

Due to the closed road and diversion, I took a more scenic route down the country lanes to get home, stopping for a few pictures along the way.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:44 pm 

GPW Out in the Snow - December 29th

Snow was forecast for the 29th, but I didn't think it would be particularly heavy. It didn't start until around 08:30hrs, but fell in large flakes and lay on the ground and stayed. It was due to warm up later in the day, so despite being full of cold, I took the decision to wrap up and get the Jeep out for a spin! We all jumped into 'Hope' and went for a ride around the lanes around Washington, to have some fun and get some photos. It's almost two years since 'Hope' was last out in the snow. This will most likely be the last trip out of the year for any of my vehicles.

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm 

The first trip out for the year in an MV was again in "Hope", one week into the year. On January 8th, the kids all went back at school. Lynne was off to work in the big car, the Nissan was still in the garage since before Christmas with injector failure and I had a scalpel wound to my foot preventing me from walking very far ( don't ask ), so how was child getting to school?

In style of course!!!

My Collection

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:14 pm 

Things have been quiet for the Ford since January, though I've been to several events in my other Jeep and one in the Dodge ( YMVT Crank Up, Breighton Radial Fly-In, Yorkshire Air Museum "Against the Odds" and "Lanc, Tank and Military Machines" at East Kirkby - Photos all here - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/events.htm  ).

However, for the Croft Nostalgia show, we are creating an 'RAF 100' display to celebrate 100 years of the Royal Air Force. "Jessie" is going to be part of that display in the markings made at the end of last year. "Hope" is now also going to be in that display, and so another set of RAF markings needed to be made.

For "Hope", the hood roundel is a bit more tricky, as the original 100th Bomb Group Station Photo Jeep had the star set so far back on the hood and body. For a painted star, this wasn't a problem, but it meant that the magnetic plastic roundel would be in three pieces, around the hinge and over the most uneven part of the 75 year old hood. The first picture below shows the plastic blanks ready for painting.

To try and speed up the masking and painting, I used magnetic plastic masks for the 6 inch and rear bumperette roundels. A hole was cut to spray the red, while scrap paper covered the rest of the roundel. Gentle spraying pressure in light coats prevented bleed under the mask.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:18 pm 

A similar technique was used for the blue on the small roundels, but using a disc of magnetic plastic to cover the red and white areas of the roundel. The large roundel was just masked with tape and paper.

The number 1 group marking is now painted on the bumperette. The two small rectangles are to cover the USA on the hood, and need RAF painted on once the olive drab has fully cured. The front bumper strip is also painted olive drab, ready for its markings.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:21 pm 

After a wash down on Saturday morning, both Jeeps were parked bumper to bumper for a first picture both in RAF colours. The afternoon was spent cutting stencils and painting the RAF and bumper markings.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 pm 

The RAF hood markings and bumper markings were completed today.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 pm 

Bowes Railway & Springwell Village 1940's - June 30th / July 1st

The Bowes event is covered in my Dodge thread, although I had all three vehicles at the event. See the full report and pictures here - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2018/bowes.htm

This was only the second time out for the GPW this year and the first event in the new RAF markings.

My Collection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48