It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Flying Control/Follow Me jeep inc P-51 photoshoot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm 

March 7th - Re-assembly

On March 7th, the fuel tank, driver's seat and steering wheel were re-fitted. The tank was connected up and partially filled to check for leaks from the feed pipe. After that was seen to be ok, further fuel was added and I prepared for the first start. Before trying to start, I turned the engine numerous times on the starting handle to try and move a little oil around the galleries. It was around five and a half months since the engine last ran.

It took quite a lot of priming with the pump and starter to get the fuel along ten feet of fuel line. After a couple of almost starts, I ran some fuel down the carb and shortly after that, the engine burst into life, running nice and smoothly. Jessie and Hope were then swapped side to side in the garage so I could get Jessie out more easily to finish off the odds and ends needed to be ready for the season.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:33 pm 

On March 7th 2018, Jessie emerged from the garage following the winter welding work. This was the first time outdoors with the new markings, so I took the opportunity to get some photos in daylight.

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 pm 

Since the middle of last season, Jessie has had a few starting problems, particularly when cold. The main suspect were the batteries. They were six years old, but have been showing signs or being poorly for a couple of years. Inactivity over the Winter, and even between events in the Summer doesn't help them, although since 2014, I've been using trickle chargers on a timer to put a few milliamps in over the quiet periods. Since getting the Jeep in 2005, it's had three sets of batteries, and I felt this consumption/failure rate was higher than it should be.

Over the weekend, I ordered a new set of batteries which arrived and were fitted today. I then decided to look into things a bit further. Checking the voltage at the batteries after starting, I was getting 25.6 volts at idle. As the RPM increased, the voltage increased peaking between 30 to 33 volts. This was far too high. The regulator is meant to keep it between 27.5 to 28.5 volts but was exceeding this by up to 5 volts. Over the time I've had Jessie, it seems she's been cooking the batteries.

Here's the new batteries fitted.

The regulator still had the cover retaining bolts wire locked from its time in the French Army. Time to open it up and start adjusting. I could only get the voltage down to 28.7 volts, but this was much closer to the desired range and should prolong the battery life. I'll monitor it as the season progresses.

My Collection

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 pm 

With the Jeep up and running again, there was nothing left to do but take it for a short test drive. This was the first drive since visiting my daughter's school, late September last year. It was nice to have both Jeeps back on the road and good to see Jessie out in the new RAF markings.

My Collection

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 pm 

I also wanted to convince myself that the 'Motorway Grade' magnetic plastic wasn't going to blow or fall off with all the bouncing around a Jeep can do. I'll probably still end up storing them inside the Jeep for longer, fast trips as I wouldn't want to loose one going to an event.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:49 pm 

Splendid job as usual.

You seem to be the only poster here now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:55 pm 

Everyone is hibernating for the winter! I'm not sure how to wake everyone up and get more posting. I know a number of forums have lost interest in favour of Facebook groups.

I've had the starter motor off today for overhaul to cure the starting problems I've been having. I think I've fixed it!

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:11 pm 

March 18th - Starter Motor Overhaul

The new batteries still didn't improve the starting problems, with the starter motor struggling to turn the engine past compression when the engine was cold. There wasn't much else to check other than the starter motor. I was concerned I was going to have to splash out £285.00 for a new starter. Whether the motor was repaired or replaced, it was going to have to come off the Jeep.

Hotchkiss crammed a lot more equipment into the rear corner of the engine bay, over the starter. The coil, voltage regulator, distributor, rear battery and alternator all made access difficult compared to the Ford or a Willys Jeep. After a struggle, I got the Jeep started and warmed through. This would hopefully allow starting via the hand crank to put the Jeep back in the garage, as I didn't know how long I'd be messing around with the starter motor.

The first thing to be removed was the battery leads, followed by the voltage regulator. This was the main obstruction to reaching the starter.

My Collection

Last edited by Army_Air_Force on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:13 pm 

With that out of the way, the starter could be seen. The various cables to the starter and solenoid were labelled and then removed. The mounting bolts were next, but still difficult to reach with spanners of sockets.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:16 pm 

Finally the starter was freed and removed from the Jeep, then it was time for lunch.

After lunch, I began to strip the starter to look for any obvious signs that there was something wrong. The end cap opened about half an inch and stopped; the brushes wires weren't long enough to allow the end cap to lift pass the studs.

My Collection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 38  Next