It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Flying Control/Follow Me jeep inc P-51 photoshoot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 pm 

After I'd finished tinkering with the ignition system, I fitted a four point seat harness in the back of Jessie, like I did with the Ford. Daughter and I are planning some camping trips with just the two of us this year, and only Jessie and the Dodge are wired to tow the trailer. After that was done, I took the Jeep and trailer for a short drive around the block to get some photos of the Jeep and trailer both with their new RAF colours.

Only three weeks to go until the first event.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:14 am 

The Jeep had a good cold start this morning so I think I've finally sorted the starting problems!

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:07 pm 

March 26th - Ignition Problems - Finally A Cause?

Over the last few days, I've continued to test start the Jeep. Some days it started first go on the button, other times it turned over but just wouldn't fire.

There was obviously an intermittent fault somewhere in the ignition system, but there weren't many places left to look. I had a gut feeling and checked the ballast resistor with my multi-meter. No problems when previously checked, but this time it varied from resistance to open circuit.

I did a brief test by using a jumper wire to bypass the resistor and the Jeep burst straight into life. Switched straight off, I then unbolted the resistor from the firewall to take a closer look.

It was fractured, and sometimes made contact while other times it didn't. I'm wondering whether the load when working, warmed and expanded the metal slightly, ensuring good contact, but when I switched off and it cooled and contracted, broke the circuit causing the starting problems. Anyway, two replacements have been ordered.

My Collection

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 pm 

Nice one Stephen
Difficult fault to find.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:21 pm 

March 29th - Ignition Problems Fixed

The ballast resistors arrived in the post about 11:30 today. I was keen to see if that really was the root cause of the starting problems. During my other checks, the plugs were also quite sooty, suggesting the faulty ballast resistor has been limiting the output of the coil and so not burning the fuel mix properly. The Jeep has also felt down on power for some time, which backs this up.

So after I made some spade terminals, it was bolted to the firewall and connected up. The engine was primed, the starter button pressed and in less than a second, the engine fired into life. I stopped it shortly after and performed another two cold starts, both ok.

I then took the Jeep for a drive for a few miles to warm the engine up and when I got back, did a hot start which also worked without problems. The school run followed, again without problems until I came to put the Jeep away. That start was a bit more difficult, but may have just been flooded. It started a minute later.

My Collection

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:26 pm 

Another job I've been wanting to do for ages is a rain cover for the rear window. I often seem to end up parked with the back of the Jeep facing into wind on days when it then starts raining after I arrive. The sides and doors keep the worst of the weather out, but the back seat often gets wet.

However, this job has been on hold as I lost the canvas I was going to use. That was found in my workshop yesterday while looking for something unrelated. The attachment is very simple. The end of the canvas was wrapped around some 3/8 dowel and was glued and stapled. The canvas was waterproofed with some tent sealer.

My Collection

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:27 pm 

The canvas slots down between the Jeep roof canvas and the STOP/GO light box, with the dowel preventing it from falling straight through. The loose end then hangs down over the open rear window. It rolls up and is stored behind the rear seat when not needed.

My Collection

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:01 pm 

After a few days away in London, I tried the Jeep with another cold start. All was well, firing up straight away. 

Following the fitting of the new batteries and adjusting the voltage regulator, I decided a way of monitoring the charge voltage was needed. There wasn't anywhere an analogue voltmeter would fit, and I couldn't find a small unit in the correct voltage scale. That left a digital voltmeter. I didn't want the modern readout visible, so fitted the meter into the base of the radio tray and made a small metal flap to hide it. It runs from the same power supply that feeds the 24v to 12v converter hidden in the dummy radio.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 pm 

April 9th - Test Drive

With a big drive to York on the 15th, I wanted to have a bit of a start/stop test drive and also monitor the battery charging under normal driving conditions.

I had a few jobs to do, including dropping in at the dodge yard for a new key and filling up the Jeep with fuel. Since it was still school holidays, took my little mechanic in the back seat to monitor the voltage gauge. The voltage was fairly consistent and within a sensible range - unlike before the regulator was adjusted.

It was a nine mile round trip with several stops along the way where the engine was shut down. The engine restarted without any problems, so I'm happy that I've finally laid the starting troubles to rest.

It was a chilly start to the morning, but got out to be a pleasant warm Spring day.

My Collection

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:55 pm 

April 10th - Rear View Mirror

With the first event of the season only five days away, there was one more small job I discovered needed attention. Over the winter, my suction rear view mirror lost its suck and refused to stick to the Jeep screen. I didn't want to spend on a new one and didn't want a permanent fixture, so set about adapting the broken one. I cut the sucker off and made a steel bracket that slotted behind existing bolts in the screen, left over from the French electric wipers. The bracket had a slot cut in the centre that would allow the mirror arm to slot into place when required.

My Collection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 38  Next