It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
 Post subject: Re: My Flying Control/Follow Me jeep inc P-51 photoshoot
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:06 pm 

Horham Airfield - May 31st - Home to the 95th Bomb Group

On the morning of Friday 31st, Lynne and I took the Jeep for the short drive to Horham airfield. Pronounced locally as "Horum", I can imagine the American airmen calling it "Whore Ham"!

To start, here's a Google image with my picture locations marked on.

It was the Head Quarters of the 13th Combat Wing, made up from the 95th, 100th and 390th Bomb Groups. Most of the airfield has been returned to agriculture, but signs of the runways and perimeter tracks survive and it is possibly unique amongst 8th Air Force airfields in having two museums dedicated to the wartime activities - One at the base hospital and one at the Red Feather Club, the former NCO's club.

The sign at the entrance to the 95th Bomb Group Hospital Museum.

A couple of the Hospital Museum buildings. It was closed at the time of our visit. We looked around in 2007 during the "Operation Bolero - Tour of the Dromes" convoy event.

The Red Feather Club is a newer museum but wasn't open on the Friday we visited.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:15 pm 

Rather than post all the photos, there's a link at the end of this post to the page where they can be found. Instead I'll add just a few more pictures of the airfield.

Looking East, around 2,300 feet of the runway is still there. Along side it is a grass strip with signs warning of an active airfield.

Driving further South East along the public road, another stretch of perimeter track survives, along with the spur that led to the Western most T2 hangar. Only the hangar base remains with large farm buildings built on it.

This is the South East end of the second hangar. Glenn Miller played here. A ghostly hangar echoes to sounds of an imagined big band.

The memorial in Horham village.

My web page link - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2019/horham.htm

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:19 pm 

Station 139 - Thorpe Abbotts - June 1st

On the morning on June 1st, we had another run out to Thorpe Abbotts, home to the 100th Bomb Group. The 100th was the Group that B-17G "Hang The Expense" belonged to. I built two large radio controlled versions of this aircraft, one at 1/10 scale, spanning a little over 10 feet wingspan, and a larger 1/6 scale version, just over 17 feet wingspan. Back in 1995, I donated the smaller 1/10 scale aircraft to the museum at Thorpe Abbotts. 24 years later, it is still on display, though having moved several times during that time.

The museum is located in the original Control Tower and Night Flying Equipment Store, supplemented by additional Nissen huts built in the early days of the museum in the late 1970's and early 80's. Each year, the smaller displays are changed and artifacts rotated to tell different stories of the base and the men who served there.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:25 pm 

The last time I was there was in 2015, when I took the Ford GPW there to recreate some wartime pictures. Four years later, there were a number of changes to the displays, including moving my B-17 from a waist high display over a painting of the airfield to being suspended from the ceiling. It wasn't a long visit, but it was nice to get back for another look around.

Late afternoon that day, we had a group trip to the coast in this 1941 Chrysler Royal Staff Car.

That was it for the trip and the following day, we packed up and returned home. No rest for the wicked however and "Jessie" is back out tomorrow to the Northallerton 1940's day.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:34 pm 

Northallerton 1940's Day - June 9th

Northallerton turned out nice again. This was the only the second year for the event but it was supported well by both vehicles and public. It was an 80 minute drive to cover the 47 miles there, heading straight down the A167 and A68 to Northallerton. Most of my pictures were taken soon after arriving, before the public started getting in the way. The highstreet had a constant stream of people walking up and down all day and several shops and cafes had also opened to make the most of the crowds.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:42 pm 

In addition to the military vehicles, there was a good selection of vintage cars and three traction engines. There was also a big piece of farm machinery, possibly a threshing machine, but more accurately described as the chomping, clanking, whirring, spinning, jiggling machine - see here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbvy91mmUk

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:46 pm 

We probably could have had a few more military vehicles there, but several local owners are still on their way back from the Normandy commemorations. The organisers seemed very pleased with the way the day went and with the turnout so no doubt it will be back for a third year in 2020.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 pm 

Both Jeeps were out at Tanfield Railway on Sunday 16th for the annual steam gala. There are usually classic vehicles on display from the Sunderland & District Classic Vehicle Society on show at one of the stations. Four of the resident steam locos were running along with two guest locos. It was the first event for the Ford this year, having only been out in the snow in February.

My Collection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42