It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: USAAF Federal 606 / C2 wreckers help please!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm 

Hello

I'm new to these forums. I'm a model maker and general military enthusiast.

I wanted to ask some very specific questions & after often referring to this site for reference photos I decided to join - hopefully you guys can help me!

I am a model maker building a B-17 Fortress from scratch in 1/32. I am going to depict a crashed / recovered fuselage on a trailer, being pulled by a suitable vehicle, like this:

Unfortunately no-one currently makes a kit of the Federal C2 / 606 wrecker and trailer that I needed - so I have decided to use a Diamond T Wrecker instead.

I can quite easily make the 40 foot trailer from scratch. What I don't have is enough good quality reference photos of it.

I already know of the http://www.twinbeech.com website that has some nice photos, and the website's owner has sent me some pics of a trailer he's in the process of buying....but I'd really appreciate more!

So - the first part of my request is - please does anyone have photos of the 40 foot trailer, especially close ups, and especially of the converter dolly?

Can you tell me if the converter dolly was similar to those made by other companies - for example Fruehauf? There are plenty of images of Fruehauf dollys on the net but I've only been able to find two pictures (not close ups) of the Federal type dolly. Does the dolly have an official designation that would help me in my search (for example with google images)?

Second part of my request - assuming I also make the converter dolly for my model - would the Diamond T wrecker be capable of towing a load as heavy as a B-17 fuselage (minus wings, tailplanes etc) ? I seem to recall that the Diamond T wrecker could PULL (not drag with its booms but pull) loads of up to 25,000 pounds, which I make out as just over 11 tonnes.

Third part of my request....would it be realistic to even show a Diamond T in this scenario? I want to show the diorama scene on a USAAF airfield in the UK during WWII. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that the Air Force guys roped in local US Army units to help out? Did the US Army even have any Diamond T wreckers in the UK at that time? Failing that, did the British? I'm aware that the Brits used Queen Mary transporters for moving aircraft parts around - but there's no reason a Queen Mary would be on a US Airfield is there?? - hence my use of the Diamond T.

Finally - can you guys tell me what colour USAAF vehicles and trailers were finished in during the War, and specifically for vehicles based in the UK?

I really appreciate your assistance on this!

best wishes

Rich

**EDIT** - I've recently found out that the Diamond T wrecker was indeed used by USAAF units, and to back this up I found an image of one being used to load bombs at a B-24 Liberator unit's base

Post subject: Re: USAAF Federal 606 / C2 wreckers help please!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:06 am 

Hi

If you haven't already tried, ask the question on http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/forum.php. It is predominently a military vehicle forum, and you will have a wider knowledge base about vehicles and trailers than here.

Regarding olive drab, there are as many shades of olive drab as opinions about it. Some dark, same light, some flat, some satin. I've seen a colour photo of two Dodge ambulances on an airfield, and both are very different colours of 'olive drab'. There was an official shade, but also much variation in the paint manufacturing and re-painting 'in the field'.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:23 pm 

Not sure there was a Federal type dolly. There were general two types of U.S. dolly - one with a 5th Wheel fixed to chassis and a pivoting A frame and towing eye, one with a pivoting 5th Wheel and a rigid chassis and towing eye.

On air bases there would have been dollies for the 4,000 gallon refuelling tanker trailers (F-1 / F-1A) which used the pivoting 5th Wheel type, don't know about the others. There were at least two variants of the pivoting A frame type - heavy and light.

Need someone with the TM covering all trailer types to get model designation - ISTR there is a U.S. website which does CD manuals for these dollies and quite a few trailer types but you won't find a C-2 trailer manual there.

Here is the pic Steve was thinking about, I'll post some dolly pics on the other place.

Attachments:
USAAF Ambulance colours.jpg
USAAF Ambulance colours.jpg [ 125.62 KiB | Viewed 2424 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:35 pm 

aha! That is very helpful thank you

*edit*

this is one of the two pictures I could find - the 25 foot trailer is hooked up to the dolly and is loaded onto the 40 foot trailer

note how, where the 5th wheel attachment would be on the dolly, there seems to be a large 'adaptor' for want of a better word - necessary because of the height of the front part of the trailer??

I have no idea what this might look like :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:40 pm 

That looks like a 'fixed 5th wheel' dolly.