It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Flying Control Dodge - The Story So Far
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:35 pm 

On Monday 25th, while I was packing away the camping equipment from the Barnard Castle trip, I removed the RAF roundels from the Jeep trailer to see if they fitted the Dodge. I knew the side roundels should be ok, but I wondered if the large one from the back of the trailer would fit on the Dodge's front bumper. Fortunately it did - just! Now all three of my vehicles will be in RAF markings for the Bowes event this weekend.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:34 pm 

The start of a busy weekend! With my wife at work in one car, and the other left at the shipping container where the Dodge normally lives, I had to take the Jeep the 2.5 mile drive to Bowes Railway this afternoon to start setting up for the weekend show. Since I wanted to display all three vehicles, I thought it wise to reserve a space, and so loaded the Jeep trailer with the signals square and ropes to mark out my plot. I then had to get home to collect my daughter from school at 3:15pm.

Lynne phoned late afternoon to say she was leaving work and that she would meet me at the railway. This allowed me to take the Dodge over and have a lift home again, via the Springwell village pub for a meal and listen to the 1940's entertainment they had on. This now means I only have the two Jeeps to get to the railway in the morning.

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Last edited by Army_Air_Force on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:58 pm 

The two Jeeps were ferried over on Saturday morning around 9am and their accessories were set up soon after. The Dodge was then assembled, adding the windsock, aerials and the small internal items such as the M8 pistol, flares, headphones etc.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:09 pm 

There were a number of other vehicles turned up on Saturday, mostly Jeeps, but also a Kubelwagon, a GMC CCKW 353 an a civilian car.

There were no locos running around the Bowes goods yard this year. The normal steam loco had its boiler certificate run out the day after last year's event, and as yet, they don't have the funds for a rebuild. They do have diesels, but they just wouldn't have the right character for a 1940's event.

There were several dioramas dotted around the railway museum site, which included German, French, British and Russian re-enactors and equipment. The main areas were along the fence overlooking the goods yard and in the courtyard formed by the engineering shops.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 pm 

There was a battle on both Saturday and Sunday. This took place on a rather sunny "Eastern Front" between the Germans and the Russians. These pictures are from the battle on Saturday where the Germans won the fight. There was a small skirmish on Sunday morning prior to the main battle later on. There were also firing demonstrations of various weapons on both days.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:46 pm 

Lynne was away for Saturday morning taking our daughter to her dancing class. In the afternoon, she spent much of her time at the various other activities held around the village as part of the whole event. We brought both Jeeps home on Saturday evening and took them back on Sunday morning.

There was a slight change in vehicles on show with one Jeep, civilian car and GMC missing and a fire engine in there place. I started packing small accessories away around 3pm and we took the Jeeps home at 4:30, returning a little while later for the Dodge. A very enjoyable weekend.

A full report and further pictures can be found here - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2018/bowes.htm

My Collection

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:11 pm 

Another Dodge birthday come and gone. 74 years old today.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 am 

I was thinking of taking the Dodge to the local aircraft museum for their Trams & Transport open day, but the weather forecast has been proven correct and it's heavy rain all day, so no trip out.

My Collection

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:22 pm 

I got caught out by the weather, trying to fire a canon in horizontal rain isn't easy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:43 pm 

8 Years ago today that I brought the Dodge home after purchasing it the week before. How time flies.

My Collection

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next