It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50  Next
 Post subject: My Flying Control Dodge - The Story So Far
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:51 pm 

Today was the big day and now the Dodge is home in Washington. 100 miles door to door and a 3hr 30min trip across the country. Here's a few pictures and a short video of the trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5BWcT7LjVU

It's pulling right when I brake hard, so I guess I've got some checking and adjusting to do, but overall, very happy with the drive.

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Last edited by Army_Air_Force on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Flying Control Dodge is home
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:07 pm 

I see you've found the sunglasses holder 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:08 pm 

Yes, the Jeep has a glasses holder too.

Lots of tinkering today, though rather tired from yesterday's trip. Main thing was to re-waterproof the canvas, as it will be stored outside for a couple of weeks until some space is freed up in the barn. I've got a plastic tarpaulin to go over too, but wanted to give the canvas an extra layer of protection.

Some long bolts were trimmed on the side panels and on the canvas cab roof where they have been used to repair the straps, but the long length was likely to punch a hole in the roof canvas and plastic sheet. I also did some measuring up and planning for fitting a removable child seat in the back.

Engine oil checked and topped up a little. Water pump greased as I couldn't remember when Rupert said he last did it. The wooden panel that the dome is fixed too was also rubbed down and painted with three dilute coats of PVA to weather proof and harden up the surface layer of wood, as the top layer was beginning to delaminate a bit.

A proper day of maintenance will have to wait a couple of weeks until I have a free weekend.

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:34 pm 

After spending the day at the North East Aircraft Museum for their Heritage Open Day, I drove home and started some work on the Dodge. The astro dome was polished while at the museum, and while it still has scratches, it is much more clear now. The scratches should be removeable if rubbed down with some fine wet and dry, and then re-polished with T-Cut.

The new radio table was built and fitted, using the ply from the original fold up table Rupert made. ( still looking for a BC-375 transmitter )

and six small ply latches were made to lock the side panels in the closed position.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:54 pm 

Further progress today. Bought a stack of metal for various odds and ends, and got started on the weather vane for the Meteorological Station. The vane was left in red oxide primer to dry.

The shaft of the vane runs in two bearings which will be mounted in a larger tube. The bearings however are slightly smaller than the tube by about 1.5mm, so collars had to be machined to take up the space.

Another 'Flightline Vehicle' warning flag was made, but I haven't made the mount yet.

My Collection

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:33 pm 

After work today, I spent a few more hours working on the Dodge parts. Below is the mount for the flagstaff. This will be welded to the front bumper with the bolt passing through the wooden flag pole to retain the flag.

The main support tube for the weather vane sits in a larger diameter tube which will be bolted to the truck roof. The drive rod from the instrument is supported by a slightly larger bearing to fit this tube, but I couldn't get one with a 6mm hole, so had to machine another two bushes.

My Collection

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:35 pm 

The vane mast will be removeable from this larger tube socket so the shaft from the vane to the instrument needs to be split. A half lap joint will key the two rods together while a brass tube over the rod assists with the alignment.

My Collection

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:38 pm 

The weather vane and main support tube were primed in red oxide followed by a sprayed black top coat. The brass tube spacer has yet to be painted. The back of the arrow has been drilled for the windsock mount.

This is the ceiling mount for the weather vane mast. The flat plate will bolt to the ceiling of the truck body with the drive shaft extending down to the instrument panel.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:28 pm 

Took both the Jeep and the Dodge to a local Heritage festival today. First time I've had them out together in my ownership. The weather vane was also completed and fitted yesterday, along with the red warning flag.

My Collection

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:48 pm 

Looking good Steve. 8-) Looks like you had a nice day for it too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50  Next