It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Flying Control Dodge - The Story So Far
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:02 am 

Blyth Battery Goes to War - May 19/20th

Day one of the Blyth Battery event was sunny, but there was a bit of a breeze off the sea which pulled the temperature down. Further inland it was quite hot, but on the coast, I had my HBT overalls on.

The displays followed the usual format with the German camp to the South of the battery and Allies to the North. Because of an ignition problem with my M201 Jeep at the start of May, I took the M201 up to Blyth for the first day as a further test that wasn't too far away from home. I planned to take the Dodge on day two.

I wasn't the only RAF content, and only a few yards from where I was parked was an RAF truck and Rolls Royce Meteor engine, the tank version of the RR Merlin aircraft engine. The engine was run several times a day during the show.

Meteor Video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnfXScG9Sf8

My Collection
'58 Hotchkiss Jeep 'Follow Me' Jeep, '44 Dodge WC51 'Flying Control' truck
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 am 

Below are four pictures from the battery which was celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2018. The construction of the battery began in 1916 and was completed in February 1918 to guard the port and submarine base. The battery was then upgraded for WW2 use. The square building is the WW2 ranging building and the octagonal one is the WW1 ranging building ( a unique survivor ). The third picture is looking out over the port approach from the WW2 ranging building and lastly, one of the gun emplacements.

My Collection
'43 Ford GPW 'Station Photo' Jeep, '53 Roset Trailer and a B-17G Fortress #42-31035

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:13 am 

Here's a few shots from the German and Allied camps.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 am 

The weather forecast for day two was for hotter than the previous day. However, after an uneventful 20 mile drive to Blyth in the Dodge, the forecast 8mph Southerly wind was a bit stronger and off the sea, pulling the temperature down again. Wifey and daughter came along too, hoping for a nice afternoon on the beach, but the cool breeze soon changed their minds! I parked up in the same spot as the day before and set up the truck equipment.

Most of the displays were the same on day two, although there were a few changes in displays and positions of some vehicles. 

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:21 am 

I caught the battle on day two and looking out to sea at the hazy horizon, I could easily imagine a huge fleet appearing, as on the morning of June 6th at Normandy. There's beach as far as you can see North and South along the Blyth coast, and picturing thousands of troops storming ashore gave an impression of the task the German defenders would have faced at the D-Day beaches. For the Blyth battle, the Allies stormed the beach under mortar fire, had to scale the sea wall, before then attacking the German positions in the dunes.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:23 am 

Despite it not being as warm as we hoped, it was a good day and nice to be out in the Dodge again. As we moved further inland, it got hotter and we then realised what a nice day it had been out of the wind. After a quick unload of personal possessions, the truck was taken back to the storage yard after a successful first run out of the year.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:59 pm 

Barnard Castle 1940's Weekend - June 23/24th

It was a 40 mile drive to Barnard Castle on Friday late afternoon, and one of those rare occasions that it was hot in the cab, rather than the usual flying jacket weather! We passed through the town on the way to our camp site which was about three miles further on. It was a lovely sunny evening and a good sign for the weekend weather.

The daylight woke little legs at 4am and she woke us asking if it was time to get up yet? and again at 4:05am and again at 4:15am!! The birds and daylight stopped me from sleeping properly after that so I then just dozed until a more sensible time. We set off back to town about 9am in order to be set up before the required time of 9:30am.

My Collection

Last edited by Army_Air_Force on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:06 pm 

It was a nice surprise to see so many Dodges at what is really a small event. In addition to my Flying Control WC51, there was another WC51, a WC52 and a WC7 Command Car.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:12 pm 

Most of the vehicles were located at the top of the town, next to the castle, but a couple of vehicles were located on the high street to draw the attention of passing public and make them aware of the castle display.

Around 12:40pm on Saturday, the BBMF Spitfire Mk.Vb made its flypasts directly overhead. We knew it was coming, but didn't know a time, so the first pass escaped me. I didn't take my telephoto lens, so the pictures I caught were just with the 18~55mm lens.

My Collection

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:29 pm 

In addition to the dozen or so vehicles on show, there were a number of dioramas and re-enactors, plus regular musical entertainment across the day nearby. There were a lot of people around, both locals and tourists, with many complimenting the interesting displays.

Sunday was even hotter than the day before and being in a well sheltered location, there was no breeze worth mentioning to cool things down. There were a reasonable number of people around at the start of the day, but the numbers dropped off in the afternoon due to some sports thing in Russia.

Barnard Castle.

Here's a short video of our trip from the camp site to the display area next to the castle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K04trrXTAiU

Further event pictures can be found here - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/mymvs/events/2018/barnard.htm

After the show, we went back to the camp site to pack the tent, followed by the 90 minute drive home. The Dodge is to be kept at home for the Bowes/Springwell event next weekend.

My Collection

Last edited by Army_Air_Force on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next